With only 7 days left before the deadline date of 31 July 2017, which is a cut-off-date to register to participate in one of Africa’s fastest growing marathon, the Nelson Mandela Day Marathon. The organisers have issued a call to all runners to urgently register on time to avoid being left out of this iconic marathon which honours the legacy of South Africa’s first democratic president, Nelson Mandela.
The Mandela Day Marathon run in spectacular settings and surrounded by a festive vibe from Manaye Hall in Imbali Township in Pietermaritzburg to the Howick Precinct where Madiba was arrested, a historic incident which set South Africa on the journey to freedom.
Runners are urgently requested to visit the website www.mandealadaymarathon.co.za to download the forms or ABSA Branches across the province to obtain forms or various municipal offices. The Mandela Marathon Office has extended its hours of work to ensure that applications are processed on time. On weekdays the Mandela Day Marathon office will open from 08h00 to 20h00 and on weekends from 08h00 to 17h00.
Race categories and Entry Fees include:
42.2 Km R165 (licenced runners only)
21.1 Km R130 (temporary licence R20)
10 Km R110 (temporary licence R10)
4.6664 ( 5Km – Entries Closed)
- Runners are advised that there may be no extension of the date as this impact on logistics preparation hence they are implored to register on time before the 31st July 2017.
- Those who fail to register timeously by the due date will not be allowed to take part in this year’s 6th edition of the Nelson Mandela Day Marathon.
- A total of over 500 runners who have been running the Nelson Mandela Day Marathon for the 5th consecutive time will receive permanent numbers.
- This year’s race will be run under the theme #RUN4UNITY, which symbolises Tata Madiba’s vision of a united and prosperous nation.
- More logistics including water stations, medical facilities, shuttle services and parking facilities and security arrangements have been upgraded to higher schedules this year.
- Runners are advised that there will be no shuttle services to their starting venues and it is their duty to timeously familiarise themselves with the race routes and parking venues.
- Runners will also be prohibited from switching from the race they initially registered for to the new one on the date of the marathon.
The 6th Mandela Day Marathon will be held on Sunday, 27 August 2017; starting at the Manaye Hall in Mbali Township, Pietermaritzburg and finishing at Mandela Capture Site in Howick.
Issued by the Mandela Marathon Organising Committee on behalf of uMgungundlovu District Municipality and the Ministry for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Government. Contact Lennox Mabaso on 082 884 2403 or Msawakhe Mayisela on 060 9664 220 or Mbali Ndlovu on 0767946830 or Thando Mgaga on 0735412267.